OUR ROLE :
HANDS UP 4 KIDS brokers partnerships between Primary Schools and the community to make a tangible contribution to improving young student’s reading skills
OUR VALUES :
- HANDS UP FOR KIDS exists to support Primary School children improve reading levels by partnering with schools in their endeavours to improve student literacy;
- HU4K Volunteers provide support to students helping them to become successful, confident and capable readers.
- HU4K foster greater community awareness, support and involvement in child education and encourages community volunteers to assist by making a positive contribution to child literacy education
WHAT WE DO :
- HANDS UP 4 KIDS recruits volunteers for Partner Primary Schools with the expectation that each volunteer will commit at least one hour a week to hear 4-5 children individually read aloud.
- Children experiencing barriers to reading are selected by the Class Teacher. Our Volunteers spend time with each child, providing individual attention and encouragement towards mastering reading and comprehension skills. This is carried out within the school with the Class Teacher nearby.
- A least 10 volunteers are needed for each Partner Primary School, many schools expressing a wish to have many more volunteers in their School HU4K Volunteer Team.
- With early intervention as the key, HANDS UP 4 KIDS is one program that is complementing school literacy programs to help individual young students become confident learners with the confidence and ability to reach their potential.
||Djidi Djidi Primary
||South Bunbury Primary
|West Busselton PS
|Maidens Park Primary
||Margaret River Primary
|Adam Road Primary
||Clifton Park Primary
|Rapids Landing Primary